Thursday, January 16, 2014

Metro.

8 years ago, I said goodbye to this wonderful, giving, charming, incredible character. 













He was really one of a kind. He took such good care of me, snuggled me, talked to me every time I popped out from around a corner. He toted my butt around my first real XC courses, and brought me my first big fancy ribbons. He was always there for me.

When his time came, I cried and cried and cried. It was so hard to let him go, but it was the right thing. His body failed him, and I set him free. He shaped my life as a teenager and young adult, and I owe much of where I am today to him. He's even part of my business name. 



I don't know if I believe in spirits and orbs and those kinds of things, but I took at least a dozen pictures of his gravesite the day we euthanized him and only this picture had orbs. Both of them are flying upwards, one over his headstone and one directly overtop Quincy's headstone, which is where I was standing when I took the picture. It wasn't snowing, it wasn't dusty, none of the other pictures have them in there. So, I don't know... but maybe.



I am so lucky to now have old Pmare - his last remaining offspring - with me. She may be off-site at her lessee's place for the time being, but she has a forever home with me. She is wonderful and witchy and every bit his child, and I love her. 





Now, Cuna shares this day with Metro. Keep them in your thoughts, and send Aimee some well-wishes when she's ready to put up a post on it. When our horses hurt, we have to be their stewards and make choices for them... this choice is the hardest one to make, but it is the most selfless and honorable one. Much love to her, and to everyone else who has gone through the same battle. 

6 comments:

  1. Oh No! Another good one is gone. That is so sad. Please send her my condolences. Even though I don't comment often I have been following both hers and your blogs for some time now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Years pass and we don't miss them any less. Metro sounds like a great guy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a sad day. We are so lucky to have these amazing horses in our lives, but that doesn't make it hurt any less, does it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's tough to lose a best friend, and the struggle is never ending but gotta stay strong.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't know what it is about January 16th. I had to put my little guinea pig to sleep yesterday. To "pig people" like myself, they are much more than rodents - more like small dogs - so yes, I'm extremely upset. Then I got on FB and saw the news about Cuna, which broke my heart for Aimee. And I didn't even know it was Metro's day!

    All of these beloved animals of ours are surely enjoying the green pastures over the Bridge. I know they will be waiting for us some day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well said, Andrea. We owe it to them to take the pain for them. So hard...but also the greatest kindness. Sorry to hear another has been lost.

    ReplyDelete