Saturday, April 14, 2012

Dapple City

Post-foaling, Bay Girl's body has gone through a few, erm... undesirable changes. Mostly what this means is that she has lost her beautiful topline! It takes a lot of calories to keep a hungry little beefmaster colt well-fed, and she is a good strong milker. However, she has lost quite a bit of weight, and you'll see the changes in her body in the following pictures...


The last time we saw Bay Girl, before she left to foal out on the other farm:




And here she is post-foaling, with her colt:







Her coat is beautiful, but the rest of her? Ehhhhhhhh. Ah well, now that she is back with us she is already gaining some weight back. Elvis is a little tank and it takes work for her to keep him looking so thick! (Early I incorrectly stated that he is cutting bred... he's actually rope bred, and will grow up to be a rope horse like his original momma.) Of course, she's still beautiful either way. :)

I FINALLY have a lead on where she is from! I have an inquiry in as we speak... hopefully they will get back to me soon with more information on her!

8 comments:

  1. He is an adorable little beefcake. Is he friendly?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh oh oh! So excited about the lead, fingers crossed! Erm.. rope horse.. these are something to do with roping cattle, cowboy kind of things? I live in the Australian outback and I'm imaging his breed working at campdraft type work, cutting out cattle and roping as in the competitions I standby at. They're amazing to watch actually, the way horse and rider work together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. She has lost weight, but she still looks great. Maybe she just needs some extra calories while she is producing milk for her little QH. All that shine can't be wrong!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can't wait to find out more information on her.

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL yes, in Texas they're not called ropers, cutters, or reiners... they're rope horses, cutt'n horses, and reinin' horses! A rope horse is one that participates in cattle roping events, most commonly team roping. I'm not sure how I feel about roping... the rope horses we get in there have always been so horribly mishandled and beaten into submission that they're always like "I'll do whatever you want, just please don't hit me." They work those horses HARD.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ahh I see! Here they're often used for everything.. stock work and droving for those on properties, trails riding, campdraft work (that be cutt'n, rop'n, & uh, chas'n), and polocrosse. The campdraft events here don't seem so hard on the horses as polocrosse, which just looks exhausting for them.. just as well each player has several rides, those poor things come off absolutely knackered! X(

    ReplyDelete
  7. She still looks good even with the weight loss. :) I love her dapples. And her baby is absolutely adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  8. God, I was getting confused (as you saw on my comments on FB) but now I finally get why Elvis has a little QH butt! She s surrogate. I dont know how or when I missed that memo. ADORABLE though.

    ReplyDelete