Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Transformation Tuesday - Pmare Edition


Transformation Tuesday is upon us, hooray! I like this weekly holiday because I get to go back through all of my photos and compare my horses' condition from when I got them until they got healthy and fit. I'll have to do more of these. This particular one is about Pmare.

Most of the horses I end up with go through some kind of very exciting transformation process once they end up with me. They get strong, healthy, muscular, and shiny, and they stay that way. 
Therefore, it's not very often that you have to do two transformations on your own horse. Generally, something really bad has to happen for that to be the case. (Gogo, for example, went through two transformations, one when I bought her and one when I brought her home from the trainer's. One transformation was from obese to fit, and one was from emaciated to fit.)

When Pmare got off the trailer from Canada, she looked pretty crappy. She was out of shape and dirty in Canada, but not at a bad weight. When she arrived in Texas, she looked pretty poor indeed. But it didn't take her long to get healthy, fit, fat, and shiny!



When she went to her lessee's, she looked like the picture on the right. When she got back, she looked like this:






Yeck. Not skin and bones, but just generally thin, filthy, scraggly, and dull looking.

Fast forward a month and a half, and she is looking quite a lot better....



She's still very unfit, and she's in desperate need of a bath, but underneath her layer of dirt she is covered in dapples. I'll have to get a better shot of her after a bath! She's ready to start some short and slow trail walks, but that's probably all she can handle for now.


Here's a throwback to when she was in work!




9 comments:

  1. I have always admired your ability for making all horses flourish under your care! Is Pangea on the same diet and supplements as O or have you done any differently for her?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is on pretty much the same diet as O. O gets an amped up gastric support version, as well as some additional herbs, but the basic structure of the program (free choice timothy hay with some alf, hay pellets/Healthy Glo, Equine Challenge vit/min supplement and a few herbs) is the same for them both!

      Delete
  2. I have to ask - where did the purple breeches come from? I must have purple breeches of my own!

    Pmare looks lovely under saddle :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. She looks great! And ohmygoodness she is so beautiful under saddle!

    ReplyDelete
  4. She is quite a lovely mare. Have you thought about breeding her?

    ReplyDelete
  5. You do an AMAZING job transforming your horses. Even when the before pictures aren't horrible, the after sure are "wow" factor!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad she's looking good again! So happy she's home. :)

    ReplyDelete