Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Metro

Reposted from 2011 with small edits, and just as applicable this year as it will be every year.

Oh, my Metro.



Six long years ago, my Metro went to sleep forever. Five years. I can't believe it. Six.
But time heals all pain. My memories of him are strong and rich. The neverending stream of 'what-ifs' that I had running through my head when we euthanized him has settled and faded away. We did right by the Cookieman. We let him be at peace, and let him go to a forever place where there are no seizures, no stall rest, and no painful limbs. And because of his sacrifice, I was able to spend five beautiful years with my wonderful Gogomare, whom I never would have found otherwise. Because of his life, I am now reaching out to his daughter, who is every bit his child and just as lovely.
Even still, I miss him every day.


- Somewhere in time's own space
There must be some sweet pastured place
Where creeks sing on and tall trees grow
Some paradise where horses go
For by the love that guides my pen
I know great horses live again. -






You can honor his memory and read all my Metro posts on the Eventing-A-Gogo blog here. I love you Cookieman, and I miss you with all my heart.

2 comments:

  1. Just beautiful and is that a poem you wrote?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This made me tear up. I love the poem too. I'm excited that you're connecting with Sophie. :)

    ReplyDelete