Monday, February 20, 2017

Day 326


Day 326 is here and gone - and no baby!!

She rested comfortably for most of the night while the storms whirled around us. We didn't get anything too major, but other bloggers did... I'm sure you'll hear those stories too. We are lucky today. We may not be next time. 

This morning O acted funny again around 7am, but quit shortly thereafter and took a very long nap. So long in fact that I finally just gave up, turned her out with Dylan, and went back to sleep. When I woke up they were both in the foaling stall together, just resting. I kicked Dylan out, locked her in, and decided to trot to the feed store to get hay. By the time I returned, it was sunny and beautiful out, with the foaling paddock area dry and nice, so I moved the entire panel system back AGAIN and rehung my lights. One light is already burned out.... Comedy of errors. I bought the dumb thing two days ago.


She now has bright white milk and literally nowhere else to go on the milk testing chart. I am done testing because I would rather leave her colostrum alone rather than risk losing any amount. She dripped some today so I want to keep the rest in as much as I can.


Surely tonight.... Surely!?



7 comments:

  1. So exciting!!

    If horses lactate similarly to humans her body should make an unlimited amount of colostrum (and only that) until after she gives birth. So, you don't have to worry about wasting it. Her body will make plenty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You do have to worry about it in horses - if she leaks too much colostrum the baby will not receive enough antibodies. We test it 72 hours after the foal is born and if they didn't receive enough we have to do a plasma transfusion. Which is not much fun in a neonate!

      Delete
    2. Very interesting! Thanks for the information.

      Delete
  2. Ahh....she's keeping us all in suspense!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mares... I can't wait to see the baby!!!

    ReplyDelete